The hypertension medications will work in a slightly different manner in different instances, and it actually depends to a large extent on the patient’s own medical needs.
Therefore only the
physician can decide on the efficacy of using a specific prescription
only after having assessed the patient’s medical history.
There are many medications that are used to control high blood pressure.
The are components in hypertension medications that makes sure that the blood-carrying vessels are made to relax which in turn helps in regulating the blood that is being pumped from the heart to other parts of the body; and it also ensures that there is very little resistance and thus the heart is not put under any additional stress.
On the other hand, there are other components that helps in increasing the salt and water content in the body and thus there are no problems such as swelling. In fact, these components works much like a diuretic and replenish the amount of salt and water that is normally lost by the body as a result of urinating.
1. Beta Blockers - The function of beta blockers is reduce the heart rate to lower the blood pressure.
2. Calcium Channel Blockers - The function of calcium channel blockers is to stop the quantity of calcium that moves in to the heart and also into the vessel cells.
3. Diuretics - The function of diuretics is to liberate excess amount of sodium (salt) and fluids that are in the body through urination, lowering your blood pressure.
4. Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitors - The function of angiotensin inhibitors is to lower the blood pressure by expanding the blood vessels and this improves the blood flow through the heart.
5. Angiotensin II Receptor Antagonists - The function of angiotensin receptors is to lower blood pressure by blocking any effect that the chemical has on the vessels and the heart.
In any case, high blood pressure medications are not usually prescribed when a person has liver problems, suffers from certain allergies, or has been diagnosed as suffering from other ailments such as kidney diseases and gout as well as diabetes, heart diseases, stroke and even high cholesterol.
In the event that you are prescribed medications and you are suffering from any of the mentioned ailments, then you would need to have your medical condition closely monitored while being given such form of treatment.
What are some hypertension statistics?
And as with all medications, they should only be used very cautiously and ALWAYS under the supervision of your doctor.